A quick update, with what’s going on with your club.
We currently have 192 Members! Thank you all for joining.
We are often getting people asking why should I join the club? So here’s a few reasons:
- Good Karma knowing you're giving money back to upkeep the tracks you're riding on. (Part of your membership costs are donated to track maintenance).
- Motivation to get you out riding, with our frequently organised local rides.
- Make new friends to ride with.
- Learn of new places and tracks to ride.
- Safety! It’s always safer to ride with others just in case you crash, get lost or your bike breaks down.
- Improve your Mountain biking technique, get tips from more experienced riders or do a skills ride.
- Learn how to do your own bike maintenance with our bike maintenance sessions.
- Find out about everything biking related on our Facebook page; like races, bike recommendations, track reviews etc.
- Opportunities to attend organised away trips to various NZ locations.
We have recently signed off on a club constitution. This is an important achievement for the club. Thanks to Matt Newby, Neil Coleman and Bronwyn Ward for contributing to this. Having a constitution (rules that the club abides by) means all members and prospective members know what our club objectives are, how we operate and have reassurance that we’re a not for profit organisation. We have now processed our application to become an incorporated society and our newly signed off constitution has been sent off to the government. Once we have incorporated society status we can affiliate with Mountain Bike New Zealand which will mean the club will be a part of the wider New Zealand mountain biking community and we’ll have a recognised voice in advocacy for new or the use of tracks, easy application for racing licences and Liability insurance.
Neil and I recently attended the Mountain Bike NZ Christchurch summit. It was good to meet representatives from other NZ clubs and hear what’s happening in the NZ biking world. We’re working on improving connections with other Canterbury clubs. We recently organised a ride with the Lyttelton Mt bike club, which was great! The founder of their club Greg, showed us around the tracks they have built in the Urumau reserve above Lyttelton. What they have achieved is amazing and their vision and the potential of the location there is sure to bring more great tracks. We have a ride collaborating with the South Canterbury Mt Bike Club on the 18th June, looking forward to exploring new trails with them.
We also have new club business cards (Thanks Steve), that we can all use to help advertise the club by handing out to other riders we meet. See Me to grab some for your riding pack!
Club tee shirts are ready to be ordered, you can let Neil Coleman know if you would like one and what size via the Facebook post.
“Life’s not always uphill”
Hannah – Club President.